Thread: Winchester 94 mfg. 1955

Winchester 94 mfg. 1955

Hello all I am new to the forum. I have a small business in Clinton, CT. I recently acquired a Winchester 94 pre 64 that is extensively engraved from the tang through the barell up to the rear sight. I have checked with Pauline Murelle who said the work was not performed at the factory. I also checked with a former custom shop gunsmith who states the regularly sent work out to be done before assembly. I am trying to identify the engraver if possible for my consignee. Please look at the attached photos and contact me with any questions. Thank you in advance.

Paul Jakubson
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't tell much from the photos but have you looked under the stock for a possible signature? Some sign on the bottom of the tang or even on the side of the tang, covered by the stock.

Bill

I wonder if that might be of Japanese origin. Roger Bleile would be the best to ask.

Paul,

The engraving on your Winchester clearly has all of the characteristics of a Japanese engraver's work. I have seen many such firearms over the 40+ years of my career. During the occupation of Japan, American GIs could buy rifles and shotguns at the Base exchange. There were a few local engravers who specialized in engraving those guns at a very modest price. That work is usually found on otherwise field grade guns. The use of silver inlays is but one of the characteristics. Also the style of scrollwork and the way it is cut are also telltale. Many of the post war occupation guns were engraved by members of the Hamada family of Tokyo. Shigenari Hamada was most prolific at the time your gun was engraved but I can't say with any certainty that he was the engraver since all of the Japanese engraver's work looks very much the same in style and execution.

Regards,

C. Roger Bleile
    FEGA Historian
    C. Roger Bleile
    FEGA Founding Member
    NRA Benefactor
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/